Friday, July 4, 2008

Chapter 1


The news hit like a bombshell although we both had thought it, but neither had said, as if not saying it would prevent it from happening. Aggressive breast cancer. Mastisized cancer.
Julie handled it all with such grace and kindness to all those around us. She has always been the strong one and this was no exception. In the doctor's office when the words were first uttered, it was her that comforted me. She was brave for our girls and smiled and said kind words to every one in the hospital that came to help (and ask a dozen questions) even as she struggled to breath and talk at times.

I would like to say this Blog is for my wife, just diagnosed with cancer. But, it is for me. A selfish act to help me cope. I cope by writing, I always have. This is to help me make it from today to tomorrow. One day to the next with an elephant standing on my chest.
Mavy, or Maverick for long, welcomed Julie home by hanging out on her side of the bed, meowing and wanting her to get up and feed him. No sensitivity. He doesn't like the cat food when I give it to him. It is not the order of things, the universe is out of balance for him. Ashton does not trust the oxygen generator and threatened it with violence when it beeped at start up. He hasn't heard the nepulizer yet or seen Julie when she is using it. I suspect he is going to not like a machine making noise and making smoke (steam) come out of Julie's mouth.
Ok, it takes a little humor to make it through the life when things are "going well" -- actually, we seldom recognize we are in one of those times. It is going to take a lot of humor going forward. I hope I can keep Julie and myself laughing at least part of the time.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just heart broken at the news of Julie's cancer.
It is my pleasure to know and work with Julie through the Master Gardeners. I know her to be a wonderfully kind and talented woman.All my thoughts and prayer are with you. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
Sincerely,
Gail

Unknown said...

Hi all, Old neighbor here.... I am now especially sad that I've lost touch after moving out of Ricketts Mill. I can picture Julie in her big and happy yard, hundreds of times, hat on her head, mowing, planting, weeding, gathering. Julie, you are a classy and strong woman, and I'm thinking of you and your whole family. Robert, your poem was stunningly beautiful and sad, and I hope it helps to keep writing during this time. Please take care and don't be shy about calling out for help when you need it. I know we made a dinner or two the last time Julie had cancer; if that would help, we'd be happy to do it again. Vivian Davis

Anonymous said...

Julie,
All I can say, is Oh My Goodness.

This is one of those times, I truly do not know what to say except, you are in my prayers and will be everyday. As you know, my husband and I are very involved with the "Susan G. Komen For The Cure" organization and will be sure to add you to our list of "Survivors" when we participate in the 3 Day/60 Mile Walk this year in October. Even though we don't get to see each other very often I think you are a wonderful lady and a tough one too!!!! You will fight this with the help of your friends and family.

My crazy work schedule is not a set schedule so please, please contact me if you need anything! Even if you just need someone to talk with other than family! Cancer is such an ugly disease but amazingly enough it can truly bring a family closer and forge new friendships - I am only speaking from my experiences with my mom, a very good friend, and my cousin.

I am only right up the street so please do not hesitate to call if you need something - I can run to the store or whatever:)
My love to you and your family,
Deborah
(And my guys of course: Ken, Kenny & Anthony!)

Anonymous said...

Julie and Family,
You are and will be in my prayers and thoughts!!!! PLEASE do not hesitate to call me or Bernie for anything. We are here to help in any way that we can.
The Burke Family

Anonymous said...

Julie,
Thinking of you and hope you are feeling better.
Gail

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to check in and say that your family is in our prayers, we put Julie on our prayer list at church, and I am asking everyone I know to pray for her. We love your family (including Ashton) and hope you know that we are here if you need anything. I plan to bring dinner over Monday night (7/14/08) and please let me know anything else we can do. Much love, Peggy, Jody, Jessica and Jacob Vaughn