Saturday, July 10, 2010

Julie Update 20100710

Julie 20100710

Things are continuing south.  Julie struggles some days to walk and at best it is a shuffling gate, with steps about 12 inches long.  She slid off the bed the other day and I had to help her get out of the floor.  She takes pain pills, hydrocodone acetaminophen (but I suspect she will need something stronger before long) to relieve the pain in her legs.  Her legs are swollen, I have lost the prescription for the stockings, and a few other things I can’t remember.  Why the world has to push paper around any more is a great mystery to me.

After two weeks I convinced Julie we should move up her appointment with the doctor.  Her doctor was out of town, but we saw Dr. Khatri, who is a great doctor also.  He listens.  He listened to me and then ordered a Pet Scan, and three MRI’s, blood tests, etc.  Oh yea, that is what I am missing, the blood tests.  Should have gotten those yesterday.  Putts.  Julie has always been the one to remember such things.

I also got Dr. Khatri to reduce the steriods.  He pretty much got it all right.  I think I could be a medical doctor quickly, except for all the school, regulations, licenses, etc.  But, I digress.  A little levity seems to be all that stands between me and insanity some days.

Julie had her first “mess” despite the Depends last night.  I always thought it was going to bother me, but I got up and did most of the clean up last night while she took a bath.  I thought a shower would be best, but Julie still does stuff her way.  In fact, at times she resists me helping her.  Reminds me of her mom who even after dementia had taken away most of her facilities would not let John, her husband, help her, but would let anyone else.

Did four loads of laundry.  Trying to get Olesia to do Laundry and Grocery Shopping as her chores.  Gradually build up to three chores is the hope.  She seems happier, I am not sure if it is the drugs (<$1000/month) or being back home with less stress.  Don’t know how she will deal with her mom’s condition when she finally pays attention.

Consulting is slow, but there is some.  Worse case is that I will be out of money in about two years and be back to where I was at 19 when I started my journey of taking care of myself, etc.  I write a lot these days, hoping to hone my skills to write novels when the current trials are over.

We get the results of all the scans on Friday.

(P.S. most of my updates these days are on Facebook, gradually phasing out this blog.)

No comments: