Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Routine

Julie and I have settled into a routine, a routine revolving around her health and what she can do and not do.  If we looked at our current life style a couple of years ago, it would have been hard to imagine.


Some things stay the same.  Julie's dad is a constant.  He just called.  It is always the same, he rings Julie's cell phone, lets it ring a few times, never enough time for us to get to her phone which is hidden in her purse which is hidden somewhere in our house.  About the time we pick up the cell phone and before we can hit the recall button, the house phone rings and goes to the answering machine after one ring.  It always does to avoid all of those telemarketers who ignore the don't disturb us list.  If we are lucky, we get to that phone before he hangs up because he doesn't want to talk to an answering machine.  If we are successful, Julie listens to her dad talk about his life, mostly his health.  He thinks Julie's cancer is in remission.  It is something he has decided is true.


We watched quite a bit of Wimbleton today. The Roddick Hewett Match was great.  Roddick will have to continue to serve great and hit much bigger to have a chance against Murrey, the Scottman that all of Great Britian have their hopes on.  We saw a 62 year old lady do a funky dance on America has talent tonight.  Those are the kind of simple things we can enjoy these days.


Julie and Tykerb are getting along pretty well.  She only gets sick a few nights a week.  Julie has gone back to working in the yard a few hours a day much to the delight of our Jack Russel.  He sees her as a digging companion, a co-hunter scaring out rabbits from the bushes, and ruling with him over his kingdom.  He refused to go on his walk with me yesterday because I failed to hook up the leash to his collar.  Without the leash, how is he supposed to control his human companion.


Julie gets an MRI of her brain tomorrow to see if the tumors are starting to regrow after the radiation.  The Tykerb hopefully will keep the cancer from getting started again in her brain.  The herceptan is supposed to keep it out of the rest of her body.  All the other drugs she takes are to help her tolerate these drugs. 


Julie went to her Doll Club today and we hope to go see fireworks with friends on Saturday.  Tennis buddies. My leg blew up six weeks ago when I swiveld and went after a lob.  Right after I passed the speed of sound, a gasket ruptured in my leg causing a loud popping noise and blood running down on the inside of my leg.  Really cool.  I am in recovery.  Kind of like an alcoholic, I shouldn't try to play again because I can't go half speed as dictated by the age of my old tires, but insist on going full speed. 


My company, Dresser-Rand is starting to send development engineers at Painted Post, one of our other plants (I work in Olean when I am there) on furlong for a week without pay.  About three and half years after I join a company it goes down the toilet.  Well, its only happened 14 times in a row, so it may not statistically significant yet.  It has only been three years and two months since I officially started with DR.  I worked a few months as a contract engineer before I became an employee that works out of his house like a consultant.  April 17 was the offical date.  So, if history is any guide, then October 17 I should get laid off if the pattern holds for 15 th time in a row.  I don't think DR will go broke like most of the other companies / divisions I worked for.  My last company the owner, an old friend died at 3.5 years.  With all the medical bills, this one could be the BIG one, but I figured out a few cycles ago this is my Karma.  Someone up there is trying to build enough character in me to make into a philosopher and writer, so far without great success.


I am boycotting our home owner's association since they have turned into a full time bitching organization.  Perhaps I can lead a revolt to start a new organization dedicated to all noble causes.


Gordon Lightfoot's, Sundown, you better care if I find you have been creeping my back stairs. ... sometimes I think it is a shame when I get feeling better when I am feeling no pain.  Sometimes I think it is sin when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.  Well, I won't go there even though sometimes life tries to pull me there.


Oh yea, an old friend, Tom Tripp from my New Orleans days that I sent a birthday card to last week sent me a note.  He told me he reads this blog and gets worried if I don't write in for awhile.  I have been surprised often by the number of people who tell me that they read this blog.  I write a political and philosophical blog also, plus poems, stories and other stuff.  At some point, when I get through taking care of my wife and kids, I am going to move to Mexico and write full time with the best hours of my day.  I hope I still have some when those days come.  Julie wanted to know if I will take Ashton.  He is looking at me with sleepy eyes wondering why we are still up.  He knows the answer. The dream of writing is what keeps me going these days.

No comments: