Sunday, October 25, 2009

Laura's Visit



Well, its been a few days since Julie's sister, Laura, left.  I think I enjoyed her visit the most this time of all her visits,  except perhaps her first visit, the day before Julie's wedding.  When we first met, Laura and I sat up most of the night talking, I don't remember exactly about what, but it was the talk that occurs between people that like each other and both love a common person.  Laura was rougher then and more opinionated, weren't we all. But, with Laura it was more like she was on some ill-defined mission to prove the world was off-track and she was by definition on the only path left.  Well, that was my view back then.  Then I remember the middle years of her visit, where she did not understand our rather undisciplined way of raising our kids.  By the time we got to our third, Olesia, she pretty much ran the roost as they say.  I remember Laura pinching Olesia at the table one day because she was her usual rambunctious self.  Olesia looked shocked at the time and later talked to me in an almost philosophical tone that Laura should not assume the job as her parent.


But, the Laura of this visit was quiet and even peaceful.   I asked her about it and she said "I guess I have come to the point that I realize my limitations."  But, it was a softer Laura that smiled a lot more than I ever remembered.

I didn't see Julie and Laura talk much, especially when I was around.  But, maybe they don't need to.  Silence born of many years of just being there for another can be a pretty tight bond.  But, after I got up every morning to work, I would find Laura had moved and taken by spot in the bed next to Julie.  They would be watching some show on tv together.  Ashton, lucky dog, would be laying between the two of them and barely raise his head to acknowledge me when I came in. No pictures.  

Pictures of Laura's Visit

Laura when she hugged me at the station, no pictures, said, "take care of her."  I said, "I'm trying." 



No comments: