Sunday, October 12, 2008

My New Hero

Well, I told Julie today that I have a new hero.  First, my old heros.

Mohammid Ali.  Do I need to say more.  The one that said "I don't have nothing against those googs."  The army was trying to draft me at the time.  He gave me the courage to try to be a conscientious objector.

Dr. Frank E. Rizzo, a professor who believed in me.

My dad, who  also believed in me.

Ronald Reagan, who believed in America.

And, now Julie.  Who always says she is doing fine, no matter what.  We did the 5K Cancer walk on Saturday, then drove 2 hours to Maryland College Park.  We walked around for a couple of hours with Olesia showing us her college.  On the walk back to Olesia's apartment, Julie got tired and asked us to go get the car.  We did.  After a short rest, Julie went shopping with Olesia at a linen store.  We drove home for two hours and went to bed.

I got up this morning and went to play tennis.  Went I got home, I told Julie she was my new hero.  She laughed, but its true.  Most of my heros I never knew well.  It is easy to have heros when you don't know someone well enough to know their faults, their shortcomings.  But, I know my wife's shortcomings.  And still, the way she has handled cancer, I can say with confidence, I have a new hero.

They told Julie last week that they were accelerating her chemo treatment because of the nerve damage.  Her feet are tinging and loosing feeling.  I hear it and think bad news.Julie just says she is glad it is not her hands so she can still do her art work. But, it says we are getting to the end of what can be accomplished with chemo, or at least the type she is now getting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good morning Robert, I truly understand your point of view. I once watched a show called the “Chronicles of Armstrong”, which was about Lance Armstrong’s attempt at winning the Tour De France of a 7th time. In that show was a segment where he was talking about the suffering people experienced during the tour. He then goes on to say that they don’t know suffering, they never experience lay in bed for weeks, receiving chemo, and fighting to defeat cancer. Its at the point, he pushes harder because he’s not at his maximum point of suffering.

When I watched this show no one close to me had cancer. Now, watching Janey I truly understand what he was saying and what you’re saying. Please congratulate Julie for me. We will continue to pray and hope for the best!

P.S. Thank you for the good idea, I have attached a web site create by Janey’s Aunt for Janey. www.mylifeline.org/janeyshope